Re-learning Active Focus

When I first tried to find AF I tried to learn as much about it as possible. I wanted to get it right. When I learned how to do it, I started using it all the time. The problem is that I am now dealing with a lot of eye strain, especially in my right eye. I see a connection with the amount of AF that I do.

My plan now is to first resolve the eye strain. So I changed my normalized to my previous pair (-6.75, -7.75). It feels like a failure, but I can’t go on like this. I am trying to stop doing AF, which is actually really difficult. It’s become an ingrained habit so I do it automatically.

If I can resolve this issue, I’ll try to re-learn how to do AF. Clearly I must be doing it wrong. I know it’s supposed to be relaxing, just a soft blink. But I suppose I must be straining my eyes to do it, without realizing it. I probably shouldn’t do it all the time either. Maybe only during walks?

I feel really discouraged right now. I hope I’ll be able to fix this. I want to go on, not be stuck on this level of myopia. At the same time I want to be gentle with my eyes. I’m not sure this method works without AF?

I found a post on Reddit that really scared me. “The Truth about EndMyopia and Jake Steiner (my opinion)”. I don’t know if the content is real or made up, but it made me worried. Can AF really be dangerous? Maybe this person had some underlying condition.

I want to keep doing this process, I just need to find a way to be gentle with my eyes.

When I first got my reduced lenses, I decided to take my time and ease in to it. I wasn’t trying to do any active focus. There were times though that my eyes did automatic focus really well without me willing it or trying. It just happened. Sometimes I’d encourage my eyes to relax more (active focus).
In my experience, willed/intentional active focus is just the icing on the cake. What matters most is stimulus (defocus, lighting, etc) - which reduced lenses and time outside gives you.

Thank you for your reply, it was reassuring. :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe I put too much emphasis on active focus. I will continue to do what I’ve been doing (with much less AF). I have this fear that I will not continue to improve further, but I will keep trying. I don’t really know what automatic focus is, will have to read more about the subject.