New here with extremely high myopia and lots of questions

• Hey everyone. I am Mark from Pennsylvania.
  • Lots of questions but first here is my prescription:
    • OD: -7.00 SPH, -0.75 CYL, 022 AXIS
  1. Is a difference of -0.75 in the SPH normal or should I be concerned? Does difference make active focus impossible? I have already purchased differentials that have the same prescript for both right and left. Should I purchase new differentials that have different spears for the left and right eye?

2. What is the best thing to focus next? What prescriptions should my normalized be? Am I supposed to reduce the sphere and the cylinder at the same time, or should I correct the sphere and then the cylinder?

3. Does the discord not except new people? I have tried but got the error “unable to accept invite” for the link: “https:/discord.com/invite/ysGb5paH4a”.

1 Like
  1. In terms of balance you’re in an okay place. No need to stress about it really, it’s just where you are. Any differences can be resolved by making a reduction to one eye. Leave the axis alone - you don’t reduce that.
  2. The general understanding is to start with spherical reductions first. There is more information on the wiki. Here is a link about getting started: Guide:Start your improvement here - Reduced Lens Wiki
  3. Here is a link to discord: Reduced Lens Community
2 Likes

Hey, welcome to the forum! :wave:

To add to @eyecantwait’s excellent answer,

I have already purchased differentials that have the same prescript for both right and left. Should I purchase new differentials that have different spears for the left and right eye?

Depends on the new differentials prescription, distance during close-up, can you give us information about those?

And concerning the interplay between spherical and cylinder reductions:

As with myopia, astigmatism should be tackled in small steps when selecting lenses for differential or normalized glasses. If only a small amount of cylinder correction is present, say 0.25 diopters, the cylinder correction can be dropped, with no other changes. Otherwise, cylinder should be reduced in small increments. If sphere is being reduced, cylinder should not be changed at the same time, and conversely, if cylinder is being reduced then sphere should not be changed. The only time that both sphere and cylinder should be changed, is when converting to the spherical equivalent.

The average person with medium-to-high myopia should wait until having reduced norms/diffs twice each before reducing cylinder for the first time. Then wait a minimum of 8 weeks before introducing the next spherical reduction, and wait 6 months before introducing the next cylinder reduction.

Regardless of how the myope reduces their lenses, the goal of each reduction is to have a small amount of “useful blur”, to be cleared up with active focus and good habits.

Astigmatism - Reduced Lens Wiki

2 Likes