My Journey so Far - Mistakes and All!

Feel free to reply with questions or information.

There may be some errs in my understanding in each note below which I end up understanding and correcting in a later one. So please read all of them first.

I will update this thread when there is more to report.

Notes so far:

• Mistake: In excitement of finding active focus again (found it before I knew about End Myopia/Reduced Lens method), I played with active focus in lenses that were wrong for me. It’s hard to quantify or explain but I think this wasn’t good for me at all.
  • I saw an eye doctor for an exam and screening.
  • Mistake: There was a problem with the RX (my fault). So since I got glasses with the given RX, I skipped ordering full correction. I got away with it, but this is a mistake according to the general End Myopia/Reduced Lens method and findings of the communities. Having full correction would have likely helped my eyes and brain overcome blur adaptation quicker.
  • Used the prescription from my optometrist to work out the scripts for reduced lenses and ordered first normalized and first differentials.
  • Mistake: Start using first normalized (3/11/2024) before switching to first differentials (3/15/2024). There was a mistake with the full correction I had, so this was much better than going without. This is a mistake according in terms of the general End Myopia/Reduced Lens method and findings of the communities. Reducing differentials first is considered best.
  • The Tape Rule. The frames I ordered are the same, and are clear. I developed the tape rule to avoid using the wrong glasses. The rule: If it has (clear) tape on the left side arm, it may be used for close up work. If the tape falls off, there won’t be any harm if I try to use them for distance. It would be obvious, realize right away, and just put tape on them again. (3/17/2024) More information is in my post sharing about “The Tape Rule”: The Tape Rule - A way to tell glasses of the same frames apart
  • I was blur adapted (by the EM/RL method definition) and found it did weird things to active focus. When I’d look at stuff, it would initially be clear, then get blurry. This went away in time. Blur Adaptation + Blurry Automatic Focus (My experience)
  • I’m seeing 20/15 with my first normalized. Just a few days ago, I was seeing 20/30 with the same pair. Quite a surprise since both eyes are still adjusting to the astigmatism correction. Both eyes see some slight ghosting. For some time each morning and night I’ve been staring at an eye chart taped to the ceiling and red led alarm clockwith differentials. My eyes do appear to be adjusting. (3/17/2024).
  • No longer seeing ghosting. (3/22/2024)
  • My brain seems confused later in the day when my eyes are strained. When I look at something far, it’s initially clear, but then it active focuses to blurry. I’ll see how more time goes. And either its been getting better, or my eyes haven’t been as strained. (4/3/2024)
  • Mistake: After a week of consistent measurements of 20/20 and better with my first normalized, I ordered second normalized and differential glasses. When they came, I switched to using them in the afternoon. This is a mistake according to the general End Myopia/Reduced Lens method and findings of the communities. A diopter reset should be done first.
  • Days later, my eyes began to need the first set again (could be due to cloudy days - to this day, I’ve seen a strong correlation between the sunny/cloudy/rainy weather and measurements), so I switched back to first normalized for a day or two then also switched back to first differentials.
  • Sunny weather returned. Measured 20/20 and 20/15 again - first normalized are now considered full correction. Remember: I mustn’t reduce early. I mustn’t reduce early. I mustn’t reduce early. Don’t do it. 🫨
  • Days before my planned switch to second normalized, the cloudy weather returned and I needed the first normalized again.
  • I noticed a sensation when looking at my red LED alarm clock with my eyes closed in a dark room. It felt like it does when active focusing. I asked the community and a study noting that low level red light (RLRL) therapy doesn’t relax the ciliary and they shared a study which couldn’t determine if it was a valid stimulus to shorten axial length. Since then, I still look at it with my eyes closed. (4/26/2024)
  • Decided to switch to second normalized for a few weeks and see how it goes. (5/3/2024)
  • My eyes are responding well to the second normalized. Active focus might be getting easier. Today it was the easiest to active focus than it has ever been. I could control the relaxation while looking at a specific sign. It was neat to see everything go from blurry to quite sharp on command. (5/7/2024)

Thank you for this list! Lots to learn from there.
Getting started does seem hard, in particular, if you have high myopia. Without a lens kit (which may or may not help) and a recent script that you trust, you don’t really know what the first close-up glasses are. I personally am just starting and trying to be as conservative as possible. I figure that I can always decrease more later. The goal is just to reduce the strain on the back of my eye and ciliary muscle as much as I can right now without pushing myself or making myself sick.