Easing into a new pair of normalized?

I was listening to The Shortsighted Podcast a while ago. One guest talked about something interesting. She said that she (every day) tried to wear a new pair of normalized for as long as she could, then when the eyes couldn’t handle it she switched back to the previous, stronger pair. She found that she could wear the weaker pair for longer and longer each day.

I don’t think this is really part of the method? I thought that you’re supposed to do a Zero Diopter Reset and then put on the new pair of normalized and wear them at all times (close up work excluded, of course), not switch back to a stronger prescription?

I’m thinking that this could be a good way to get used to a new prescription, but will the progress be ruined if you put on a stronger pair of glasses again? I’ve been dealing with a lot of eye strain so if there is a way to ease into a new pair of normalized it would be very useful to me.

I’ve only done one proper change and I had to go back to the stronger pair because of eye strain. After a couple of weeks my eyes tolerated the weaker prescription.

I hope this post makes sense, english is not my first language.

I suspect Zero Diopter Reset may be more of a psychological trick than one that really helps the visual system. I’d imagine that any physical effects hit their peak after two hours (or less). Consider how patching for just 15 minutes helps wake the brain up to using an under-performing or non-dominant eye. I’ve got no proof to show on this hunch, of course, these are just my thoughts based on how reductions went for me.

When it comes to having to go back to a previous correction step, try to find what works for you. If eyes are only getting worse with a new reduction, especially if the blur challenge is too much - you might have reduced too soon. Otherwise, if the situation is just lack of progression, you could try using full correction part time (such as your previous prescription -if that is where you started- or norms), to remind your visual system what the desired clarity goal is.

The two main things I’d say could really make things hard are:

1. Not measuring properly (ex: first thing in the morning, same lightbulbs, no sunlight, same paper, same tape measure, etc), or
  2. Not reviewing the log book regularly (tracking habits and close up time can help with that too).
    In my opinion, consistent, scientific measuring and observation are first key to the EM/RL method - without these two things, you may not have a fair idea of how your eyes are doing.

Good luck on your journey! When you figure out what worked for you, I’d be curious to hear about your experience.