Blur Adaptation + Blurry Automatic Focus (My experience)

Disclaimer

Summary

Should anyone new be reading this, be sure to read all disclaimers included in this community. This method and it’s communities are not doctors (maybe there are some members who are, but as far as I know, they’re not leading or using their career or profession to officially support or back this method). You should get regular check ups and work with a optometrist or ophthalmologist you trust. Anything about the method or anyone in this community says could be wrong or not right for you, your health, or your vision circumstance - including me!

This community is so good and I’m so thankful there is a place people can share their experiences of what worked and did not work for them and ask each other questions.

I’m writing this to share my experience to the RLM community about the time my automatic active focus was ‘broken’. If you experience this, who knows, maybe what I did to fix it might work for you too. :woman_shrugging:

What I mean by automatic focus as something my brain does that I don’t will or cause to happen… I’m not sure if there is an official or better name for it. This is different from passive looking, where your eyes are open, but you’re just staring off into space (hypnotized/zombie eyes?). This is also different from the active focus that can be willed or done intentionally.

My experience
When I got my first normalized, it had been awhile since I had a full correction. I decided to be passive and leave it to my visual system for the first while to give it all time to settle in and get used to correction. I let my automatic focus work by itself.

For the first few weeks, automatic focus would clear things up fine. At some point there was a week or more where I’d look at something and it would initially be clear, then my brain would kick in the automatic focus and it would be blurry.

I guessed this was a result of blur adaptation. I’m sure switching to a full correction before starting this Reduced Lens/EndMyopia method is the more ideal way to go… but if I were to have ordered another pair of glasses with full correction, it would have taken at least a week before I had them in hand. So to help fix my automatic focus, I didn’t switch to a full correction.

Instead, I looked at things that were clear (to give my brain and eyes more practice and normalcy with seeing clearly), and things that were just inside the blur horizon (to give my eyes less challenge).

As for things that were really far and well inside the blur horizon, I looked less at far objects until my focus issue was fixed.

It worked! It took a few weeks, the automatic focus began clearing things up a bit instead of making it blurry. :relieved:

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean, you phrased it very well. What is the diopter difference between your full correction and the normalized that you used?

The difference between what my full correction would be and normalized is 0.25D. Even though I’m in the range of -6D (could have tried to reduce by -0.50), I learned from those who went before me and decided to start off easy.

The communities seem to say active focus can be both automatic and intentional/willed. In vision science, this automatic kind might have some official term. If anyone knows, I’m curious to know.

1 Like